In a historic shift in international policy, on Feb. 18 Canadian Foreign Minister Anita Anand announced substantial amendments to the Regulations Implementing UN Resolutions on Syria, including the lifting of the comprehensive economic embargo imposed on Syria since May 2011.
The new amendments end the broad economic embargo previously tied to the Assad regime, easing restrictions on the import and export of goods and services, investment activities, the provision of financial services, and transactions involving the oil and telecommunications sectors. Canadian officials said the decision aims to support the Syrian government’s efforts to advance an inclusive political transition and strengthen economic stability.
Delisting of Entities and Individuals
The amendments also include the delisting of 24 entities and one individual from Canada’s sanctions lists, intended to remove barriers to economic activity and facilitate engagement with state institutions central to Syria’s recovery.
Notable delisted entities include the Commercial Bank of Syria, Central Bank of Syria (CBS), The Saving Bank, Euphrates Petroleum Company, Syrian Arab Airlines and Syriatel. The name of Syrian economist, and current Minister of Economy and Industry, Dr. Muhammad Nidal al-Shaar was also removed.
Canada introduced two new criteria for adding individuals and entities to its sanctions lists. These target persons involved in gross and systematic human rights violations or those undermining peace, security and stability in Syria. Ottawa confirmed sanctions will remain in place against individuals and entities closely associated with the Assad regime who were listed between 2011 and 2017 and who meet the new criteria.
The decision follows a series of prior Canadian actions supporting the Syrian people. On Dec. 8, 2024, Canada welcomed the fall of the Assad regime and reaffirmed its commitment to Syrians. In February 2025, it issued a temporary general permit to ease some economic sanctions, which was later extended. In December 2025, Canada removed Syria’s name from its list of state supporters of terrorism and also delisted Hayat Tahrir al-Sham (HTS) from its list of terrorist entities.
Canada’s Continued Support for Syrians
The Canadian Ministry of Foreign Affairs said Canada has provided over $4.7 billion in humanitarian and development assistance to Syria and countries hosting Syrian refugees since 2016. Ottawa will continue monitoring the situation to ensure the protection of civilians and the promotion of peace, even as 229 individuals and 32 entities, including former officials and associates of the former regime, remain subject to restrictive measures. The government reiterated the amended sanctions framework balances economic engagement with accountability and support for human rights and stability in the region.








