
Syrian Internal Security Forces launched a major security operation Saturday in Tartous province targeting hideouts of cells accused of carrying out attacks on patrols and checkpoints. The Interior Ministry said the campaign, conducted with support from the 56th Division of the Ministry of Defense, aimed to dismantle armed groups linked to recent assaults in the coastal region.
The raid followed the August 18 attack on an Internal Security Forces patrol at the entrance to Tartous, which killed two personnel. According to SANA, patrol members had approached a parked vehicle when gunmen inside opened fire, killing the officers instantly before fleeing.
The ministry said today’s operation focused on a farm reportedly used as a base by one of the cells. Security sources confirmed the seizure of weapons, ammunition and a makeshift medical point used to treat wounded fighters.
Clashes Leave Dead and Arrests
Col. Abdulaal Muhammad, commander of Internal Security in Tartous, told state media that clashes broke out as security units stormed the farm. “Special forces units carried out the operation in coordination with the 56th Division. Armed clashes erupted with members of the cell before some were neutralized and others arrested,” he said.
The Interior Ministry later announced that several members of the outlawed group had been killed, while others were taken into custody. Authorities did not immediately release the number of casualties. Civil defense units were also deployed to assist in securing the site and recovering material evidence.
Part of Broader Security Plan
The ministry said the campaign forms part of a larger plan to restore security and combat organized criminal and terrorist groups that remained active in coastal Syria following the overthrow of Bashar al-Assad in December 2024.
Security sources note that while some remnants of the former regime have surrendered through settlement centers established earlier this year, others have resisted and launched attacks on civilians, patrols and military positions. The Interior Ministry said the Tartous operation would continue until its objectives are achieved.
“This operation comes within the framework of ongoing efforts to dismantle terrorist hideouts and pursue anyone who threatens the security of the country and its citizens,” the ministry said in a statement released on its official Telegram channel.
Rising Tensions on the Coast
The coastal region has experienced rising security tensions in recent months. In March, coordinated attacks targeted security patrols and checkpoints in one of the most violent escalations since the regime’s fall. Officials say armed remnants of Assad’s network continue to operate in parts of the western provinces, posing a challenge to stabilization efforts.
Local sources said following the August 18 attack, security units launched an intensive manhunt to track down the perpetrators. “Justice will reach anyone who attempts to tamper with the security of Tartous and its people,” one security source said at the time. Authorities emphasized that investigations remain underway as the campaign expands to track remaining cells.